Skip to main content

Do i have to hire an attorney and get a court order to make a correction to my daughter's last name?

El Paso, TX |

Recently, my husband filed an acknowledgement of paternity for 2.5 yr old daughter and since he is from mexico it was filled out with both of his last names. The person helping us fill it out also wrote both last names down for my daughter because he said he had to since it appeared that way on the ID. I thought Vital Statistics would catch this and leave out the second last name; but they didn't and now my daughter has both last names like if she were her fathers sister. Can I just file for a correction and go to a notary and mail the information or do I have to hire an attorney and go through the expensive process of a court order?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You can't just ask to correct it, as records require acknowledgment of both parents. If your husband is cooperative, visit the link I provided below to the Texas Dept of Human Services, which provides a form to amend a birth certificate. Fill out the form, both of you sign it and send it in. I believe they charge a nominal fee. That should resolve the problem. Good luck.

The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your community. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer