Do i have to have an attorney to get a bond reduction?

Asked over 2 years ago - Abilene, TX

My Boyfriends and the father of my kids was arrested about a month ago he was given a 50 thousand dollar bond but of course i can not afford to bond him out with 2 children to raise and i am 8 months pregnant and i cant work anymore can you help me find my answers so i can bring him home?

1. Cynthia Russell Henley

Answered . If he is indigent, then he will receive a court appointed lawyer. That lawyer will be able to file for a bond reduction. Most lawyers will not take on a case just to do a bond reduction because once a lawyer signs onto the case, the lawyer is THE lawyer on the case unless the judge releases him from his obligation.

2. Richard Timothy Jones

Pro

Answered . If he's indigent the court will appoint an attorney for him for the hearing. He should not represent himself at the hearing. Bond reductions are difficult enough for lawyers.

3. Scott Douglas Marquardt

Answered . The other thing to remember that in many counties, making bond on a felony will invalidate your indigency status. Also, if you contact a bail bondsman, they may also petition the court to reduce the bond. Finally, you can also contact the public defender for the court to see if they can appear to reduce the bond. The other attorneys are correct. You really need to retain an attorney to resolve the entire matter not just getting the bond reduced. Good luck.

4. Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

Answered . Mr. Marquardt has an excellent point. While you need him out on bond, if he can't afford an attorney for what is obviously a felony charge, if he bonds out the courts might determine that he has the means to pay for an attorney as well. See if he can get a court appointed attorney and then see if he qualifies for a PR bond.
    If he's facing serious charges you might want to consider using the money you would spend on bond and instead pay a good lawyer to represent him.

Good luck