Skip to main content

Do i have to have an attorney to get a bond reduction?

Abilene, TX |

My Boyfriends and the father of my kids was arrested about a month ago he was given a 50 thousand dollar bond but of course i can not afford to bond him out with 2 children to raise and i am 8 months pregnant and i cant work anymore can you help me find my answers so i can bring him home?

Attorney Answers 4


If he is indigent, then he will receive a court appointed lawyer. That lawyer will be able to file for a bond reduction. Most lawyers will not take on a case just to do a bond reduction because once a lawyer signs onto the case, the lawyer is THE lawyer on the case unless the judge releases him from his obligation.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


If he's indigent the court will appoint an attorney for him for the hearing. He should not represent himself at the hearing. Bond reductions are difficult enough for lawyers.

This is intended as only general legal advice. Feel to visit my website, for my blog on crime and punishment in Texas You may also email me through my site. I have been an attorney practicing criminal law in Austin for over eighteen years.

Mark as helpful


The other thing to remember that in many counties, making bond on a felony will invalidate your indigency status. Also, if you contact a bail bondsman, they may also petition the court to reduce the bond. Finally, you can also contact the public defender for the court to see if they can appear to reduce the bond. The other attorneys are correct. You really need to retain an attorney to resolve the entire matter not just getting the bond reduced. Good luck.

Mark as helpful


Mr. Marquardt has an excellent point. While you need him out on bond, if he can't afford an attorney for what is obviously a felony charge, if he bonds out the courts might determine that he has the means to pay for an attorney as well. See if he can get a court appointed attorney and then see if he qualifies for a PR bond.
If he's facing serious charges you might want to consider using the money you would spend on bond and instead pay a good lawyer to represent him.

Good luck

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics