Do I have to have a employment to sponsor a brother? I am a US citizen. when will need to file I-864 .

Asked 7 months ago - Alpharetta, GA

US CITIZEN SINCE LAST 10 YEARS. HAD A PART TIME JOB UNTIL 2011. HAVE A BANK BALANCE AND HOME.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . You are jumping the gun too soon.. Brother. You will on.y have to worry about this in about 14-18 years from now, for that s time it takes to process a siblings petition..

2. David Nabow Soloway

1

Answered . A U.S. Citizen may file a Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative for a brother in the Family-Based Fourth Preference visa category, but must wait until a visa becomes "currently available" in that category in order to apply for the brother to become a Permanent Resident through "adjusting status" in the U.S. or consular processing abroad. The backlog for visas is very long, and although the June, 2014 Visa Bulletin issued by the U.S. Department of State (http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/l...) may appear to show about a 13 wait for people of most nationalities, in fact a wait significantly longer than that is likely. For this reason, the Family-based Fourth Preference visa category is rarely a desirable strategy and it usually is a good idea to explore other potential immigration strategies for a brother of a U.S. Citizen.

David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, PC
    Atlanta, Georgia

3. Pedro A. Miranda

Pro

Answered . Yes, you will have to file an I-864 but it will take quite a few years before your brother will have a visa available to him.