Do I have to go into my old job at a retail store that I no longer work at to discuss something with loss prevention?

Houston, TX |

I was called at my home by the retail stores loss prevention in January 2014 stating that I needed to come into the store and talk to them about a couple of transactions that I supposedly made in December 2013. I do not know what to do. I have not gone in to talk to anyone because I did not feel comfortable with what was said over the phone. It was as though they were saying I was guilty.

If you feel uncomfortable with the discussion, you may want to consult with a criminal attorney about the matter as soon as possible.

Good luck!

My response herein is an attempt to give you general information and direction and is not intended to constitute an attorney-client relationship as perceived by state law.

You are not required, by law, to respond to an informal request for a meeting with your former employer. However, as my colleague has suggested, if you are concerned about this inquiry, for any reason, it would be wise to consult with an experienced criminal attorney.

Your question has been answered as a courtesy. This is not paid legal advice. Nothing in this communication is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Unless expressly stated otherwise, nothing contained in this message should be construed as a digital or electronic signature, nor is it intended to reflect an intention to make an agreement by electronic means.

No, you do not owe them a conversation. It may be worth your time to talk to them to avoid having charges filed or a suit filed to recover money from you but I would also suggest you speak with a criminal defense attorney before talking to anybody at the store.

Recommended articles about Employment