Do I have to give the insurance adjuster a copy of my medical lien?

Denver, CO |

I was injured in a rear-end accident. My medical bill are 8,000 and owe 4,000 in liens. The person who hit me insurance adjuster is only offering 8,500 and now want to see the lien documents. Do I have to give them this information?

1. You should consider consulting with a personal injury attorney in Colorado in regard to the value of the settlement/liens. At this point it may be too late to obtain representation, but a personal injury attorney can usually help reduce liens. That being said, the insurance companies are responsible for paying any true legal encumbrances, and can obtain them through other channels anyway, although it would take longer and further delay your settlement.

Merry Fountain is licensed to practice law in Indiana. She can be contacted at 1-888-242-HURT. This is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney/client relationship. It is legal education intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. If the question does not include important timeframes and facts the answer could change. Merry Fountain strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state.

2. As Merry said, don't handle this yourself. Consult with a local personal injury attorney.

3. You must at least consult with a personal injury attorney for advice. Insurance companies jerk people around all of the time

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

4. Do yourself a big favor & speak to a local personal injury attorney before you go any further. Insurance adjusters work for the company, an attorney works for you. I know - I used to train adjusters. I have no dog in this fight - just trying to help you receive the best result possible. Good luck

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

5. A local personal injury lawyer can negotiate lien down