Do I have to give the engagement ring back?

Asked over 1 year ago - Riverhead, NY

My boyfriend proposed to me while on a vacation in the Carribean (Aruba). He broke the engagement. Because the proposal occurred out of the United States, does that make the contract terms pursuant to Aruba law where the verbal agreement to marry was made? And, based on this, am I required to return the ring? It was given to me for Christmas.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . That is an interesting legal theory... I doubt it will work though.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

Answered . If you are both living in NY, then probably NY law will apply. Was it an engagement ring or a Christmas present?

3. Edwin Drantivy

Answered . Probably. The proposal need not be in New York if the substantive content of the agreement is based on a future in New York. Even if the offer and acceptance were in Aruba, the mutual consideration paid and/or suffered by the parties was most likely in New York.

Also, if by chance you signed a prenuptial agreement, review its provisions re: termination of engagement.