Do I have to give the engagement ring back?

Riverhead, NY |

My boyfriend proposed to me while on a vacation in the Carribean (Aruba). He broke the engagement. Because the proposal occurred out of the United States, does that make the contract terms pursuant to Aruba law where the verbal agreement to marry was made? And, based on this, am I required to return the ring? It was given to me for Christmas.

That is an interesting legal theory... I doubt it will work though.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

If you are both living in NY, then probably NY law will apply. Was it an engagement ring or a Christmas present?

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

Probably. The proposal need not be in New York if the substantive content of the agreement is based on a future in New York. Even if the offer and acceptance were in Aruba, the mutual consideration paid and/or suffered by the parties was most likely in New York.

Also, if by chance you signed a prenuptial agreement, review its provisions re: termination of engagement.