Do I have to give my husband, that I am separated from, my social security number for his taxes?

Modesto, CA |

I do not trust him as with this information, that he won't try to obtain credit using my social since his credit is ruined. He also would not give me his W-2 information so that we could just file together, so I see no reason to give him my info. But will we not be able to file without listing eachothers social?

1. Posted to tax as this is not a family law or Social Security question. Good luck to you.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

2. I am surprised he does not already have your social since you are married. He will have it on any past returns. The married filing separate income tax return requires that you provide your spouses social security number. He will not be able to efile without it.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

3. This is correct. Even Married Filing Seperately requires the spouse's SSN.

Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    www.insightlawfirm.com

Business topics