Do i have to get my misdemeanor expunged where the case took place?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hemet, CA

10 years ago... Non violent non drug. Do I have to travel back to where it took place?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeffrey George Moore

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Yes and no. The expungement paperwork is filed in the court where you were convicted. There may be ways to handle that without traveling there. You can retain an attorney in that jurisdiction to handle the matter. Alternately, you can consult with the court to determine if there is a way to file the paperwork by fax or mail. If the petition can be resolved without a court appearance, you may not have to even have an attorney or travel to the court.

    Any statements I make in these forums (fora?) should not be taken as direct legal advice, merely informed guidance.... more
  2. Michael Douglas Shafer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, it is expunged where the conviction occurred and no, you can have an attorney appear for you.

  3. Jasen Bodie Nielsen


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Some court's require an appearance to expunge a case. Those that do will typically allow an attorney to make that appearance for you. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,295 answers this week

2,855 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,295 answers this week

2,855 attorneys answering