Do i have to get divorced in county in which i was married

im going threw divorce i filed in st lucie county where i live and now my attorney says we have to go back to hillsborough county to court is this legal

Fort Pierce, FL -

Find Out More

Gregory Thomas Buckley

Gregory Thomas Buckley

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Gainesville, FL

Generally, the best venue for a divorce is the county where you last lived together as man and wife. If the last place you lived together as man ad wife was Hillsborough County, then that would be the proper venue for the divorce.

Michael Charles McGinn

Michael Charles McGinn

Family Law Attorney - Tampa, FL

I agree with Mr. Buckley. If the parties agree you can generally file a Dissolution of Marriage in any county in the State. However if there is an issue and the parties are not in agreement the case should be filed in the county in which the parties last resided together as husband and wife.

Eileen D. Jacobs

Eileen D. Jacobs

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Tampa, FL

The proper county to file for divorce is the county in which you and your spouse last lived together. If that is Hillsborough, then that is the correct county.

Many attorneys who post on Avvo offer free initial consultations.

Nothing in this post should be considered as specific legal advice, since the attorney has not been made aware of all of the facts and has not reviewed the pertinent documents. Further, this post is for informational and educational purposes and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship.

Eileen D. Jacobs, Esq.
Office: 2505 W. Virginia Avenue
Tampa, FL 33607
(813) 877-9600
Mailing: P.O. Box 14953
Clearwater, Florida 33766-4953
(727) 787-6595

Joseph Gufford III

Joseph Gufford III

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Stuart, FL

Divorce action can be brought in either the county where the parties last lived together as Husband and Wife or in the County where the other party resides. In some instances, venue can be changed based upon the concept of forum non-convience.

Dean George Tsourakis

Dean George Tsourakis

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Clearwater, FL

the proper county is the last county in which you lived as a couple before seperating