Do i have to get divorced in county in which i was married

Fort Pierce, FL |
Filed under: Divorce

im going threw divorce i filed in st lucie county where i live and now my attorney says we have to go back to hillsborough county to court is this legal

1. Generally, the best venue for a divorce is the county where you last lived together as man and wife. If the last place you lived together as man ad wife was Hillsborough County, then that would be the proper venue for the divorce.

2. I agree with Mr. Buckley. If the parties agree you can generally file a Dissolution of Marriage in any county in the State. However if there is an issue and the parties are not in agreement the case should be filed in the county in which the parties last resided together as husband and wife.

If you find my answer to be helpful or the best answer, please make sure to mark your choice. **COMMUNICATION ON THIS SITE DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP.**

3. The proper county to file for divorce is the county in which you and your spouse last lived together. If that is Hillsborough, then that is the correct county.

Many attorneys who post on Avvo offer free initial consultations.

Nothing in this post should be considered as specific legal advice, since the attorney has not been made aware of all of the facts and has not reviewed the pertinent documents. Further, this post is for informational and educational purposes and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship.

Eileen D. Jacobs, Esq.
    Office: 2505 W. Virginia Avenue
    Tampa, FL 33607
    (813) 877-9600
    Mailing: P.O. Box 14953
    Clearwater, Florida 33766-4953
    (727) 787-6595

4. Divorce action can be brought in either the county where the parties last lived together as Husband and Wife or in the County where the other party resides. In some instances, venue can be changed based upon the concept of forum non-convience.

This response is to an unknown person and is for general information purposes only. Under the terms of AVVO policies, an attorney/client relationship is not formed by the answering of questions posted on a public portal. The attorney answering these questions may or may not have an attorney-client relationship with the opposing party. Other conflicts may exist with the person asking the question. A conflict check must be performed in order for the attorney to determine ifa conflict exists under the Rules Regulating the Florida Bar should the questioner desire to use the attorney's services.

5. the proper county is the last county in which you lived as a couple before seperating