Do i have to get a legal seperation in Louisiana? My husband and I have split everything we have and both agree with everything.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Houma, LA

He wants to keep auto insurance like it is, am i responsible if he gets in an accident? Also i have a savings account with money that was given to me from my father, is he entitled to a share of this.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . There is no legal separation in Louisiana anymore. You're either divorced or married. At this point you're still married. If you agree on everything then getting an actual divorce will be quick and easy. If your father gave that money to both of you then he is entitled to half, if it was given just to you then it's all yours as long as you can track it and don't mix it in with community funds.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create, an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to get divorced. Until you are divorced debts are presumed to be joint. Normally a judgment from an auto accident is a separate debt. Who pays for insurance does not change community property. He wound not be entitled to share gift from your father unless you put in a joint account and could not trace it.

    Every situation is different and you should consult your own attorney to go over all the particular facts in your... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,820 answers this week

3,626 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,820 answers this week

3,626 attorneys answering