Do I have to get a divorce certificate before I get married to a US citizen?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I have been married for a short time in my country, my ex husband and I are separated more than a year. since october 2011 I'm in the US on a B2 visa and am planning to marry my boyfriend who is a US citizen. my question is do I have to get a divorce first before we marry? when i applied for a visa I gave my marriage and birth certificates. does the us embassy save those informations, can the uscis have access to my file if they ask my visa number? please answer me I'm confused. thank you very much for your time and help.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

18

1

Answered . Yes, you must get divorced before you get remarried.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Marc Damien Sean Taylor

Pro

7

Answered . Not sure what you are exactly confused about. You MUST be divorced before you can marry.

1. It would be considered bigamy, since you would be married to more than one person.
    2. Your second marriage would be voidable (you would not be considered legally married).
    3. If you entered the US, with the intent to marry your boyfriend, then your entry would be deemed fraudulent.

3. Alice Antonovsky

4

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You need to first be divorced before you get remarried. Also, when you submit documents to immigration, you will need to provide copies of all your divorce decrees.

4. Raymond Gabriel Lahoud

2

Answered . Yes - you must secure any said documents. If you are not divorced yet, obviously, you cannot marry until that first divorce is complete. Then, you marry and proceed through the adjustment of status process. If you have no convictions or other issues that would prevent the approval of your adjustment of status application, then, you should be okay. I would still consult with an immigration attorney.

5. Toria Lynn Dixon

1

Answered . You absolutely must get a divorce before you get married here. Although you were married in another country, that marriage is recognized as a valid marriage here in the U.S. Anything that is submitted to immigration officials remains a part of your file, thus in moving forward with your green card, the officer will know of your marriage, there is no hiding this. A copy of the divorce decree and your original divorce decree will be requested during the immigration process.

6. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . To be able to remarry, you must obtain a divorce first.