Do I have to file tax by mail, if I became a resident alien during the year 2013 and want to file tax jointly with my husband?

Geneseo, NY |

I've been a permanent resident since last August, and I am trying to file tax jointly with my husband, who is an US citizen. IRS's publication 519 says that I have to choose resident alien status, since I was both a non-resident alien and a resident alien last year, in order to file jointly with my husband. If I choose the status, it says I have to attach a statement about choosing the status, but does that mean we have to file tax by mail? When I was a non-resident alien, I was working in the USA, got no income from outside the USA. Do I really have to attach such a statement in the first place, instead of just filing electronically as married filing jointly? I'm just thinking that if we could file electronically, that would be much easier. Thank you for reading.

1. Joint filing depends on the number of months in a given year you were together in the same household. It is not an immigration law question.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.