Skip to main content

Do I have to file an order to end child support?

Bolingbrook, IL |
Filed under: Ending child support

My child is going to be completing high school this weekend. She is 18 and will be 19 this June. My ex gets the check directly from my company and my papers state that my obligation is over when she graduates or turns 19 whichever is first. So, is it necessary that I go to court to file something?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You need to contact your employer and see if they are going to stop the withholding.m there needs to be a specific date on your child support order. If not you may need to go to court for an order.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

  2. What you'll need to do will depend on what the papers say. Assuming this is your only child (or your youngest child) then if the divorce judgment, uniform order for support and withholding order all include the specific termination date, you're probably all set. If they do not, then you should enter an appropriate order terminating the uniform order for support and the withholding order. Otherwise, you could end up in a bureaucratic nightmare where the SDU keeps withholding, accruing an arrearage or seeking to intercept funds even though it shouldn't.

  3. I agree with the previous answers. The only addition matter you will want to add if you go to court is that there are no arrearages owed and have proof you have paid your full child support obligation in full.

    Any answers or information provided is for general information purposes only and is not intended to be a legal opinion, legal advice or a complete discussion of the legal issues. This is not intended to create a attorney-client relationship. Each individual's situation is different and you should seek independent legal advice from an attorney familiar with the laws of your state for specific information.

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics