Do I have to file a complaint with the EEOC or the New Jersey Civil Rights center before I file a complaint in Court?

Asked about 1 year ago - Clifton, NJ

I would like to consider a lawsuit, but several attorneys have said I have to go first to the New Jersey Civil Rights Division - one attorney said to me sometimes I can bypass this. Please help.

Employment Law

Additional information

Discrimination on account of race. Thank you and my apologies if such a lawsuit offends you.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Allan E Richardson

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You might need to file first with the EEOC and/or the DCR depending on the nature of the case. You might not. I don't know what type of lawyers you have been talking to, but I strongly urge you to invest in a consultation with an experienced New Jersey employment lawyer, since we are the ones who deal most frequently with discrimination issues. Many employment lawyers, myself included, offer consultations by phone, payable via credit card. Good luck.

    A response to a question posted on Avvo is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,484 answers this week

3,172 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,484 answers this week

3,172 attorneys answering