Do I have to file a complaint with the EEOC or the New Jersey Civil Rights center before I file a complaint in Court?

Asked about 1 year ago - Clifton, NJ

I would like to consider a lawsuit, but several attorneys have said I have to go first to the New Jersey Civil Rights Division - one attorney said to me sometimes I can bypass this. Please help.

Employment Law

Discrimination on account of race. Thank you and my apologies if such a lawsuit offends you.

1. Allan E Richardson

Answered . You might need to file first with the EEOC and/or the DCR depending on the nature of the case. You might not. I don't know what type of lawyers you have been talking to, but I strongly urge you to invest in a consultation with an experienced New Jersey employment lawyer, since we are the ones who deal most frequently with discrimination issues. Many employment lawyers, myself included, offer consultations by phone, payable via credit card. Good luck.