Do I have to declare to the IRS money that's coming from abroad through my financial Institution(my bank) to purchase a home?

Asked over 1 year ago - Malden, MA

I have $60,000 that is coming from Brazil which I will use to purchase a home here in the US.
Do I have to declare that as an income?

1. Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

4

Answered . You need to report all income and assets accurately to your lending institution. You only need to declare that money as income if it was income, as opposed to a gift, a personal injury settlement, repayment of a loan, or a transfer of savings, etc. You should not report that money based on the answers in this forum. You need the advice of someone looking at your forms together with you.

2. Eric P Rothenberg

Pro

2

Answered . The previous answers are all correct in that you haven't included sufficent information to get a complete answer. Citizens and residents of the US are required to report on their income tax returns here all income world wide. So you should get advice from an attorney before the transfer is made in addition to how to take title to the real estate you are about to purchase.

Eric P. Rothenberg, P.C.
    ORSI ARONE ROTHENBERG
    160 Gould Street-Suite 320
    Needham, MA 02494-2300
    Tel: 781-239-8900
    Fax: 781-658-2203
    www.oarlawyers.com

Follow my Tweets at http://twitter.com/Tax_Esq

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS in Circular 230, we inform you that, unless we expressly state otherwise in this communication (including any attachments), any tax advice contained in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or other matter addressed herein.

3. Pamela Koslyn

3

Answered . If this money is in fact income, then it should be included on both your federal and state tax returns.

4. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

2

Answered . If this money is a gift, it is not taxable. If it is income, namely something that is the result of service or goods you provided or sold, than you need to pay taxes. Unless, however, special double taxation rules apply (e.g. you have already paid taxes on this amount).
    It is sound to talk to an attorney to clarify each doubt.
    Best