Do I have to declare my spouse annulment in my I-485 employment-based Green Card application?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

I am waiting to file I-485 employment-based green card application. My spouse has an annulment in our home country before. My question is do I have to declare it? My spouse does not have the annulment document with her though.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. John Ting

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Is there something on the I-485 form that suggests that you need to disclose your spouse's prior marriage's annulment? There's no question requesting this information. Make sure your priority date is current before you file the IV package. Good luck.

    Answers here do not create an attorney-client relationship. It is only for educational purposes. Contact Law... more
  2. Madhu Kalra


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If there is annulment with your spouse, you must disclose it. The whole point is she will not be eligible to get green card as dependent at the same time when you receive green card. You should consult with an attorney to review your file and preparation of the application.

    Madhu Kalra Kalra Law Firm 23720 Arlington Avenue, Ste 5 Torrance, Ca 90501 (310) 325-9012 http://www.... more
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . YOu have to provide all the information the form asks for.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Where in the 485 does it ask about spouse's prior marriages?

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  5. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No document? That can be a problem.

    You s/he must always tell the truth-the-whole-truth-and-nothing-but-the-truth on all forms.

    Consult with an immigration attorney to explore the true legal situation of your his/her marriage(s).

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,210 answers this week

2,650 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,210 answers this week

2,650 attorneys answering