Do I have to claim per diem amounts on my taxes?

Youngstown, OH |
Filed under: Tax law

When I worked away from home, I received a per diem check in addition to my regular pay check. Subsequently, my W-2 did not show any per diem amounts. Do I have to claim the per diem checks?

Per diem is normally not reported as income and you may not deduct the expenses for which the per diem reimbursed you.

I hope this answer helps.

No. This assumes that your company had an accountable plan.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. The answer to question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. Mr. Smith is licensed to practice law throughout the state of California with offices in Los Angeles County. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States, and is also licensed to practice before the United States Tax Court. His phone number is 323-292-4116 or his email address is

No, with an accountable plan you do not have to claim the per diem amount received. You also cannot deduct any expenses associated with this.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law