Skip to main content

Do I have to check the "yes" box on a F.O.I.D. card in Illinois when it says have I ever been adjudicated a delinquent minor?

Bloomington, IL |

I was part of a breaking and entering and I was convicted as a delinquent minor with a Class A felony. On Illinois' F.O.I.D card application it asks have I ever been adjudicated a delinquent minor for the commission of an offense that if committed by an adult would be a felony, do I have to check "yes?"
and these questions too, do I have to check "yes?"
1. Have you (the minor) ever been convicted of a misdemeanor other than
a traffic violation? (no)
2. Have you (the minor) ever been adjudged delinquent? (?)
3. Are you (the minor) subject to a petition alleging you are a delinquent minor for
the commission of an offense that if committed by an adult would be a felony? (?)

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Before answering those questions, to which you know the answer if you were still a minor, you might be best served by calling the ISP and asking how to respond since you are no longer a minor. Often additional questions are asked if the answers are not good for you. It appears No. 1 would be no, No. 2 would be yes and No. 3 would be not any more. In the alternative, you might wish to contact a person. You could also answer and explain directly on the form. You will have a chance to appeal if you are denied. Keep in mind the even with a squeaky clean record, FOID cards are taken several months rather than the 30 days promised because of the volume right now. Try calling the number furnished on the website or application fro assistance.

  2. Yes.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  3. If you were adjudicated delinquent, then answer yes.

    Law Office of Mary K. Neal | || 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.

Juvenile law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics