Do I have to change my tax status on my checks from single to married?

Asked over 2 years ago - Centennial, CO

I recently got married, can I just keep it single?

I want to know if I should change my tax withholding? I am only claiming 1 and SINGLE. Do I have to change it to married or married but withhold at a higher single rate? Also I have a daughter but I am still only claiming 1, should I change it to 2 (me AND my daughter)

1. John Adam Wetenkamp

9

Answered . I think you're talking about federal withholdings on your paychecks, right? There is nothing wrong with claiming one even though you have additional dependents. This way the employer will withhold more than if you were claiming 2 or 3 or more. The trouble that people get into is when they claim too high a number and there is insufficient withholdings.

2. Bryant Keith Martin

8

Answered . You do not need to increase the number of dependents for withholding purposes unless you choose to. The drawback is that your employer will then overwithhold, so you are making a taxfree loan to the government. Some people like that, because they get a bigger refund at the end of the year. I think it’s poor tax and financial planning. To do it right, you need to project the amount of taxes that you and your husband will owe at year end. Then calculate the total amount of withholding for the two of you. If it is more than the amount of taxes projected, you should increase the number of dependents (but not more than you actually have) until the withholding is about equal to the taxes expected.

3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

6

Answered . Your question is whether you have to change the names on your checks just because you became married? The answer is no. Unless it is a joint checking account, it should only have your name on it. There are millions of couples that maintain separate checking accounts with their name solely on the checks. If you are stating that you had a name change as part of the marriage, then you probably should change the name when you reorder the checks.