Skip to main content

Do I have to change my Representative Payee?

Saginaw, MI |

I'm on SSI and I currently live with my grandmother. However I will be moving into my girlfriend house this Saturday in Bay City, MI. Before I move into my girlfriend house, do I need to tell my grandmother (my Representative Payee) that I'm planning to move, and by law can she stop me? (My grandmother gets too emotional with everything!)

Attorney Answers 4


There are lots of facts missing here, that should be discussed with an attorney and NOT posted here or on a public website, like how old you are, why you have a payee, what your medical conditions are, whether you are capable (according to SSA evaluation of your file) to make a change of payee on your own.

In general, you can change your payee if you want. If you decide to change your payee, you should notify SSA as soon as you make the decision. You will need to fill out an application form at your local Social Security office so they can review your request - they want to make sure you are being protected.

The person you choose to replace your present payee must provide SSA with a letter indicating that they will agree to be your payee. That includes making reports when SSA asks them to show how your money was spent - and that may mean your girlfriend may be forced to say no to you when you want the money. That may not be good for your relationship, so think about that too. The new payee must provide SSA with proof of his/her identity.

Once you send in the application form and the new payee has sent the letter to SSA, the change in payee should take effect in about a month if everything is approved. You and your new payee should each receive a written notice of this before any benefits are paid to the new payee.

Hope that helps!

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Mr. Farrell is correct. The data needed to answer this question is too detailed for this forum. Speak to a Social Security attorney or the Social Security Administration before you make the move. It is best to know all the answers first.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by attorney Clint Curtis as general information and not specific legal advice. Specific advice can only be provided after a complete analysis of all information related to the asker. No attorney-client relationship is established by the use of the information provided. If you have additional questions please contact the law office.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleagues. You need to sit down with an attorney for guidance specific to your situation and your needs.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I would also agree with the other attorneys here. It really depends on factors such as your age, disability, reason for the payee etc.
Also, you must report to Social Security within 10 days if you are moving and your living arrangements change. You can possibly have your SSI suspended for failing to report information that is required. I would contact an attorney for free or go to legal aid group in your state which would help you for free.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics