Do I have to change my Representative Payee?

Asked about 1 year ago - Saginaw, MI

I'm on SSI and I currently live with my grandmother. However I will be moving into my girlfriend house this Saturday in Bay City, MI. Before I move into my girlfriend house, do I need to tell my grandmother (my Representative Payee) that I'm planning to move, and by law can she stop me? (My grandmother gets too emotional with everything!)

1. Clifford Michael Farrell

2

Answered . There are lots of facts missing here, that should be discussed with an attorney and NOT posted here or on a public website, like how old you are, why you have a payee, what your medical conditions are, whether you are capable (according to SSA evaluation of your file) to make a change of payee on your own.

In general, you can change your payee if you want. If you decide to change your payee, you should notify SSA as soon as you make the decision. You will need to fill out an application form at your local Social Security office so they can review your request - they want to make sure you are being protected.

The person you choose to replace your present payee must provide SSA with a letter indicating that they will agree to be your payee. That includes making reports when SSA asks them to show how your money was spent - and that may mean your girlfriend may be forced to say no to you when you want the money. That may not be good for your relationship, so think about that too. The new payee must provide SSA with proof of his/her identity.

Once you send in the application form and the new payee has sent the letter to SSA, the change in payee should take effect in about a month if everything is approved. You and your new payee should each receive a written notice of this before any benefits are paid to the new payee.

Hope that helps!

2. Clint Curtis

2

Answered . Mr. Farrell is correct. The data needed to answer this question is too detailed for this forum. Speak to a Social Security attorney or the Social Security Administration before you make the move. It is best to know all the answers first.

3. Ingrid Arnalda Morfa

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You need to sit down with an attorney for guidance specific to your situation and your needs.

4. Athena Leslie McMahon

Pro

1

Answered . I would also agree with the other attorneys here. It really depends on factors such as your age, disability, reason for the payee etc.
    Also, you must report to Social Security within 10 days if you are moving and your living arrangements change. You can possibly have your SSI suspended for failing to report information that is required. I would contact an attorney for free or go to legal aid group in your state which would help you for free. http://www.michiganlegalaid.org/