Do I have to be served by a sheriff if I was suppose to appear in court in another county?

Asked about 2 years ago - Oak Grove, KY

I am just curious what the law in ky regards as far as notifying someone to appear in court if that person lives in the same state but different county.

1. Mark S. Solomon

1

Answered . Before you are required to appear in court, you must be served a subpoena or order to appear. If someone did not give one to you, you probably have not been served properly. If you have not been properly served a Kentucky subpoena or order to appear, while you were in Kentucky, you do not need to appear. This is all assuming you are asking about Kentucky state courts, not federal court.

2. Frank Mascagni III

Answered . If you are PERSONALLY SERVED BY A SHERIFF or a Special Bailiff or a process server over 18 with valid legal service, you must comply. Before I ignored it, I would consult with legal counsel BEFORE i disregarded it.