Do I have to be on H1-b visa before applying for green card through employment?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I'm currently on a J1 work and travel and my employer offered to sponsor me for a green card. I consulted a lawyer and he said I would need to apply for H1-b work visa in April 2014, which I would need to extend my current J1 visa in order to apply. Do I really need to obtain a H1-b visa, extend my J1 visa and then apply for green card? It would cost me for all 3 applications.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . no, but you owe it to yourself to have a sit down consultation with an immigration attorney.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

1

1

Answered . Yes, you better listen to your attorney if you want to remain in the US and be able to work during the years your "green card application" will be in process and pending. H-1B status allows you to have "dual intent", whereas J-1 does not. Also, there quickly comes a time when J-1 cannot be renewed anymore. Not so with H-1B. You want a green card? You've got to spend money. Nothing concerning immigration comes cheap, free or easy. You've got to continuously strategize..

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . No. You can always wait out the process in your home country.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.