Do I have to attend the interview?

Asked over 1 year ago - Newark, NJ

I sponsored my wife's green card application after we got married. Later the marriage did not work out because she had an affair. I planned to file for divorce soon. Now her interview date is coming. Am I legally obligated to attend the interview with her? I do not want to sponsor her application now. What should I do? Thanks!

1. Dean P Murray

4

Answered . You should go to the interview and advise USCIS that you are withdrawing your petition. They will assist you with that process.

2. Irene Vaisman

Pro

3

Answered . I understand that you are the US citizen petitioner, correct? No, you do not have to go and if you no longer wish to sponsor, you can withdraw the I-130.

3. Asma Warsi Chaudry

3

Answered . You are not obligated to assist her in her application for LPR or "greencard" status. I would not recommend that you attend the interview since the officer will be looking for proof that you have a bona fide marriage and that you continue to live together as husband and wife, which you cannot provide in good faith.

4. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . No such obligation. But you should be present there anyway on the date and time of the interview , with a letter addressed to USCIS withdrawing, effective immediately, the I-130 petition previously filed on your wife's behalf. No reasons need to be given. You sit separate from your wife, waiting for her name to be called by the officer in charge of her case, and as soon as that occurs, you stand up and hand the of offer the withdrawal letter by also explaining verbally that your withdrawal is effective immediate.y. The officer will thank you. You will then leave (but only after requesting that the officer sign and "date stamp" a copy of your letter). This will have the effect of immediately terminating your wife's AOS case. She will be asked to depart the US. Are you sure this is what you want?

5. Leonard Roy Boyer

Pro

1

Answered . You have no legal obligation to attend the interview. You can also file for divorce and withdraw your sponsorship right away. I recommend that you consult with a matrimonial attorney and file for divorce immediately. I agree with the advice given to you by my colleagues.

6. Yolanda Navarrete

1

Answered . I agree with the answers provided by my colleagues. You have more than one option.