Do I have to attend credit counseling class for business bankruptcy chapter 7?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Gabriel, CA

Dear experts,

I am going to file chapter 7 bankruptcy for my corporation in CA, not an individual bankruptcy. I am the sole owner. My questions are:

Do I have to attend such credit counseling class for business bankruptcy chapter 7, like individual chapter 7?

1. Stuart Gregory Steingraber

13

Answered . I am wondering why you are filing BK on behalf of the corporation? Most of the time it is unnecessary and the more important question is did you co-sign any of the corporation debts? If so, you will be personally liable for the debts. Corporations do not need financial credit counseling. Call any other AVVO BK lawyer offering a free consultation if you have further questions.

2. Carl H Starrett II

12

Answered . I completely agree with Mr. Steingraber. Corporations cannot receive a discharge in Chapter 7 bankruptcy and it rarely makes sense to file a Chapter 7 for a corporation. Also, a corporation does not need to complete any type of credit counseling.

Talk to a local bankruptcy attorney about your options. Corporations cannot file bankruptcy without an attorney and it probably isn't necessary.

3. Sandra Maria Nutt

10

Answered . Do you have an attorney? You are required to have an attorney for a Corporate filing.

4. Robert Charles Russell

Pro

8

Answered . No, you do not need the credit counseling certificate for a corporation.

5. Jonathan David Leventhal

5

Answered . No reason to file unless you have assets. Corporations do not receive a Discharge!

Jonathan Leventhal, Esq..
    Leventhal Law Group, P.C.
    818-347-5800

NO EX-PARTE NOTICE VIA VOICE MAIL OR EMAIL: I do not accept e-mail notice for ex parte Applications via voicemail or by email. You must comply with California Law and give notice to a person in my office during regular business hours.

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.

Leventhal Law Group, P.C. is a Debt Relief Agency under federal law.

Note: The Leventhal Law Group, P.C. does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and a representative of the Leventhal Law Group, P.C. and all fees listed in the agreement have been paid.