Do I have to ask for permission fro. the other party to record a conversation to be used in court I Oregon

Medford, OR |

I have an ex that is very controling and abusive

1. Under Oregon law, it is illegal to record an in-person conversation unless all the parties to the conversation are aware of and consent to the recording. However, it is legal to record a telephone conversation so long as at least one party to the conversation knows of the recording. So if you want to record a conversation without the other party's awareness, you have to do it over the phone.

(Whether such evidence would be admissible to prove anything is another question entirely. Being controlling and abusive, in the psychological sense of the word, is not actually illegal. Abuse is, of course, illegal, if it consists of causing someone physical harm; placing someone in fear of imminent bodily harm; or subjecting someone to sexual contact by force or threats. If any of these things have happened to you, you should consult in private with an attorney as soon as you can.)

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com