Do i have to apply for F1 again to do MBA after my MS degree?

Asked 9 months ago - Rockville, MD

currently on F1 and working on MS OPT Stem extension and expires on May 18 , 2014. Applied for H1 premium. However, if i my application is not picked or rejected. I want to do MBA in another university.
(1) Do i have to apply for F1 again or my f1 status is valid until the completion date of new degree if i enrol before may 18,2014 ?
(2) If university provides CPT, can i do it even if i did CPT/OPT in my previous MS degree?
(3) Where can i find more info. on doing 2nd degree and how to maintain F1 status?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to have a valid nonimmigrant status to remain in the USA. If your purpose is to continue education, F1 is the visa to go. If you are in the USA and have I-94 for D/S all you need is new I-20. Talk to the DSO

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . 1). Yes, you do, since the MBA will be yet another degree, separate and distinct from the MS which you already have.
    2). Yes again. The completion of each degree entitled to an additional/separate OPP or CPT. Make sure to talk to the academic institutions DSO about this in order to get more detail and information.
    3). See my answer number 2 above. First identify the school in which you want to obtain your MBA, then go and speak with that schools DSO and or foreign student advisor about your plans.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  3. Gabriel C Vine

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . 1) yes.
    2) yes. Check with USCIS designated school officer (DSO).
    3) With DSO of your current school or prospective school and your favorite neighborhood attorney.

  4. Hugo Cesar Castro

    Contributor Level 5

    Answered . Your F-1 status is not valid until completion of a new degree. You need to maintain status, MBA as another degree. Talk to your DSO

Related Topics

F1 student visa

The F-1 is the most common visa for students and exchange visitors attending academic institutions in the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,105 answers this week

2,414 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,105 answers this week

2,414 attorneys answering