Do i have to appear before a judge to petition my son ?

Asked over 1 year ago - 08873

I am a green card holder and i want to petition my 3 years son is it inevitable to appear before a judge or its just paper procedures ?

1. Eric M. Mark

Pro

5

Answered . You do not need to go to court. You need to submit the proper petition. It is a good idea to speak with a lawyer for help with the forms.

2. Grace Ruth Kennedy

6

Answered . As long as your son is not in immigration proceedings, you will not need to appear before an immigration judge. it's not clear from your answer where your son is. Typically the process for apply for a child will be the filing of an I-130 followed by an interview at the embassy (if your son is in a foreign country or is here without status) or you may be able to file an I-130 and then apply for adjustment of status (if your son is here legally). You should contact an immigration lawyer to take care of this for you.

3. Yolanda Navarrete

2

Answered . You do not have to appear in court for this petition. Good luck.

4. Stephen D. Berman

3

Answered . It depends whether your son is in removal proceedings, or is in the U.S., or is consular processing.

5. Matthew L. Kolken

Pro

2

Answered . I need more information to be able to properly answer the question. First off, I assume your son is inside the United States. If yes, how did your son get here?

One or more answers have been taken down.