Do I have to answer all the questions on the Census

Lindenhurst, NY |
Filed under: Government law

Am I required by law to answer all the questions on the Census Survey

Do I have to list the names of the people on a census form?

""In addition to collecting population data for the purposes of accurately apportioning congressional districts, the federal government uses census data, among other reasons, to determine:

* The allocation of federal funding for education programs in states and communities.
* National social and health statistics used by a variety of agencies for policy purposes.
* The allocation of federal dollars for law enforcement, federal highway projects, aid to farmers and many other federally financed activities and programs.
* A wide variety of economic statistics that become the basis of the nation's economic policies.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

If you are over 18 years old and refuse to answer the census questions you can be fined up to $100. 13 U.S.C. sec. 221(a).

If you knowingly give a false answer to a census question you can be fined $500. 13 U.S.C. sec. 221(b).

You do not have to answer questions that ask about your religious beliefs or membership in a religious body. 13 U.S.C. sec. 221(c).

Government law topics

Recommended articles about Government law