Do I have to answer a question regarding my husband's medical condition during a deposition?

Vermilion, OH |

I am currently going through a lawsuit for work. The company I work for is representing me. When asked during my deposition by opposing cousel what medical condition my husband receives social security disability for, I was instructed that I had to answer and give any specific details. Is this the case? Doesn't it violate his rights?

If its relevant to the case, then its a permissible question. Not knowing about the case, I can't see how its relevant. The attorney representing you, should make that determination in the first instance.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -

The way depositions work, even if the question is objectionable you should answer it, and the court can consider any objections at a later date. Some lawyers waste a lot of time asking questions that are irrelevant fluff, mainly because it is on the form they are using. You could choose not to answer, but then the depo might be adjourned for the judge to decide if the answer should be given. You don't relate the substance of the suit, so it is hard to guess if the deposing attorney will think it important enough to press that hard for you to answer.

Recommended articles about Employment