Do I have to accept this or can I aspect to get more?

Asked over 1 year ago - Williston, FL

My truck was totaled, the other driver ran a stop sign. both my daughters and I suffered minimal injures. I lost my engagement ring in the wreck. I am self employed and have not been able to work since the wreck. The other drivers insurance company paid for a rental for me. Now they have said they will pay me only the blue book value of my vehicular. They have not returned my calls concerning my lost engagement ring or loss of work.

1. Jason D. Holbrook

Pro

14

Answered . First, I'm sorry you were involved in this wreck.
    Second, don't post anything else online minimizing the extent of your injuries. The full extent of injuries is not often known until some time down the road. If you're injuries are such that you are unable to work, I would not classify them as minimal.
    Next, if you do not retain an attorney to represent you, you may safely assume that you either be ignored or significantly "low-balled" in any discussions relating to recovering forlost work or property.

I strongly suggest that you consult with a qualified and aggressive attoreny to discuss the merits of any claims you may or may not have.

Visit my website at the link below for more information or to contact me with additional questions.

2. John Michael Phillips

Pro

13

Answered . There are several issues here- your property damage claim, your lost item claim, your injury claim and a claim for each of your daughters. The value of every claim is chiefly based on what injuries/losses you have and how we prove them. Value of injury claims is based on medical bills, nature of permanent injury, and/or surgery, whereas property damage is based on replacement or market value of the item. These days the amount you can recover is also governed by the amount of insurance someone has and the amount of insurance you have because that a judgment over insurance proceeds rarely nets you anything they cannot bankrupt out of.

Essentially, insurance carriers try to negotiate every dollar they can, because every $100 means millions in the end to the Board of Directors. My recommendation is let an attorney handle this. I spent 8 years working for insurance companies and over a year working for the largest personal injury firm in the country before setting out to give clients personal service and help them fight these fights.

Even in soft tissue injuries, those tissues stretch and scar, or cause corresponding pressure on nerves in the spinal cord, leaving behind permanent problems for some. I have had clients need surgeries years later because of a bulging disk and have their entire world collapse for what seemed inconsequential at the time. Insurance companies want you to settle as soon as possible and treat as little as possible. Attorneys matter. They change their gameplan when a lawyer is involved.

For that reason - and the misinformation by TV lawyers and referral services- is why people should consult lawyers who take the time like on sites like this. Because of the economy, more lawyers are jumping into personal injury and should stick to what they know. Personal injury law REQUIRED knowledge about medical science and biomechanics (the forces on a body in a wreck) far greater and more specific than you'd think. The other side has doctors and millions on their side to say nothing is wrong or fight the claim. If you have any further questions, feel free to email me- jmp@knowthelawyer.com. Check out our website- www.knowthelawyer.com. We'd love to help you. Our number is 800-6-know-law. We are here to help.

3. William David Umansky

Pro

13

Answered . Call a local personal injury lawyer. Insurance adjusters are hired to save their company money. More likely than not they will not pay you for the engagement ring.

4. David Irving Shiner

Pro

11

Answered . As my other colleagues of said your best bet is to immediately contact a personal injury attorney. You need to protect your interests in the best thing to do is to get educated prefall your attorney who may work on a Contingency fee basis

5. Jeffrey Mark Adams

12

Answered . Sorry for your situation. The only call you should engaged in is with a local and qualified personal injury litigation attorney. Speaking with the insurance company has, and only will, frustrate you further. At a minimum, learn your rights from a professional who is on your side. A claim representative is paid by your adversary.

6. David J. McCormick

12

Answered . I agree, you need to talk with a local personal injury ASAP. Do not call the insurance company back, call an attorney.

Pro

12

Answered . Never try to resolve a car accident case without a lawyer. Retain a local car accident lawyer so you can get the compensation to which you are entitled.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  8. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

5

Answered . What do you mean "can I aspect to get more"? You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. You can access my Legal Guides through my profile page.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.