Skip to main content

Do I have to abstain from ANY / ALL alcohol after a DWAI conviction in Colorado?

Littleton, CO |

It is my first offense ever, i got an DUI.
It does not say abstain from alcohol on my court papers, I was charged with misdemeanor but got formal probation for 24s months.

" You are to obey all laws, city, county, state and federal"
" Not operate a motor vehicle with any intoxicant in your body"
"Not posses or purchase any firearms"
"Not consume alcohol in "Excess""?
While on probation I am required to submit random 8 panel w/ ETG tests.
What does that really mean ? Can i have a glass of wine for dinner or a couple of beers in front of a football came ?
Or do i have to abstain from alcohol?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. It almost seems that you have been given contradictory order. Do not consume alcohol to excess would infer that you can still have a little alcohol. However, the random ETG tests are going to check to see if you are still drinking alcohol at all. As such, I would abstain from any alcohol use whatsoever until you can get clarification from your probation officer Best wishes.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

  2. I agree that you need to discuss this issue with your probation officer; however, DAs (and probation officers) routinely will revoke an individuals probation for consuming alcohol after a DUI even when the language in their probation contract says not to use "alcohol in excess."

    The above response does not constitute legal advice and does not expressly or implicitly create an attorney-client relationship between the poster of the initial inquiry and the Satima Azumi Porter or Porter Legal Services, LLC. Parties making inquiry searching for an answer to the above stated question should consult an attorney to completely assess their circumstances and make recommendations. Porter Legal Services can be contacted at (720) 505-4382 or

  3. By formal probation, do you mean supervised probation (i.e. you have a probation officer)? If so I am an agreement with my colleagues that you should inquire with your PO. If not, the chance of actually being called in for a random seems unlikely. However I am not certain of this so you should contact an attorney who practices in the jurisdiction where you are on probation before deciding on a course of action.

    DISCLAIMER: This above communication is for general informational purposes only. It does NOT constitute legal advice and SHOULD NOT be used or relied upon as such. Moreover, the above communication does not create an attorney-client relationship between Boal Law Firm and/or Attorney Brian Boal and any other person or entity. Legal representation by Boal Law Firm and/or Attorney Brian Boal is available but shall be set forth specifically in a separate written fee agreement signed by the parties.

  4. Mr. Forsulnd is correct you should talk to your po about it. However, before doing that you should discuss it with your attorney. Best of luck.

    This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.

  5. By formal probation, I am assuming you are referring to supervised probation, which means you will be assigned a probation officer. I would most definitely discuss this issue with your probation officer. It appears that the sentence order does not prohibit you from consuming any alcohol, it just prohibits you from consuming alcohol in excess. It may become a problem for you if you submit to the ETG test and you have alcohol in your system. I would recommend abstaining from any and all alcohol until you discuss this with your probation office and find out what their definition of "in excess" is and whether they will seek to have your probation revoke if you are positive for alcohol on one of the ETG tests. Good Luck.

DUI topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics