Do I have time to issue a subpoena? If not, should I object to the Magistrate?

Asked over 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

My Supplemental Petition for Modification of Child Support has been referred to the General Magistrate quicker than I thought it would. I have court on the 22nd of May and I want to subpoena my ex-wife's employer records of pay because I believe she is lying about her pay. Do I have enough time to accomplish this? If not, should I object to the Magistrate hearing? Also, if I do object to the Magistrate hearing, how long will it take to get a hearing with the Judge?

1. Robert M Chambers

2

Answered . Barely. Get your notice of intent and proposed subpoena done five and serve on opposing party. Follow the procedure set firth in Fla R Civil Pro 1.351. After the waiting period have clerk issue subpoena and get it served. Put the date of production in the subpoena. It has to be after its issued and before the trial date and the employer needs a few days to get things together. If you don't get your material than subpoena duces tecum the employer to trial.

2. Marian Audrey Lindquist

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Chambers except I would subpoena them for the hearing at the same time as I did not non-party subpoena.

3. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

1

Answered . If you were to object to the Magistrate, it would be many months before you could get before the judge. You may need to move to continue, unless you can subpoena the employer to bring records to the hearing, and then you do not have much time.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239