Skip to main content

Do I have the right to get the Media and Civil Rights groups involved in my Civil Rights 1983 act and Police Brutality lawsuit ?

San Antonio, TX |

I just think if the media got involved i can get better help with my lawsuit and bring the truth out .

Attorney Answers 4


Of course you have a right to do that. And, an even better idea, than that, would be to hire an attorney to represent you, which would include advising on such strategies.

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You may have the right, but that doesn't always mean it is a good idea.

Mark as helpful


The short answer is, yes. But, I will suggest you hire a civil right attorney to help you put the case together, and may decide getting other groups involved may or may not be a good idea. Good luck.

Mark as helpful


I agree basically with what the others have said. Everything depends on the particular facts of your situation, of course. But taking a scatter-shot approach and trying to do all these things at the same time by yourself doesn't seem to me to be a good idea. Three things: (1) Be sure you know what deadlines you are under - for providing notice that local and state law often requires before suing government employees and the statutes of limitations that apply, that is, the deadlines for actually filing a lawsuit. These are not the same things. (2) Consider consulting immediately with a local private attorney who's experienced in police misconduct cases. This is one way to be sure of the deadlines you're under. The attorney may agree to represent you, and then work with you in devising an overall strategy including possibly the media. (3) Contacting a civil rights group for pro bono representation and/or other support also may help you. But you may not get an immediate response, and meeting deadlines is your own responsibility. Also, groups like the ACLU get countless requests for assistance but can represent only a small number of people who contact them. (I know; I served on a case screening committee for the ACLU of Maryland.) But it's possible you could benefit even from just speaking on the phone with a staff attorney or legal assistant from an organization such as a local ACLU affiliate.

Good luck.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics