Skip to main content

Do I have the right to get experience letter from my previous employer, as per US law?

Alpharetta, GA |

As a supporting doc to my Green Card application, I need experience letter from my previous employer mentioning my last role served with them and also stating my skill set, tasks performed and responsibilities.
My previous employer has denied to provide such a letter. Is there a US law that provides me the right to get an experience letter with aforementioned details?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    There is no law which requires an employer to verify past employment. Many employers will refuse to do so, especially when they know that they had unlawfully employed the employee to begin with. When an employer refuses to provide a letter confirming employment it is sometimes an option to obtain an affidavit from a co-worker employed at the same time was you who has personal knowledge of your prior employment and duties performed. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for case specific advice.

    Jeffrey A. Devore, Esq.
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney
    Devore Law Group, P.A.
    2925 PGA Blvd., Suite 204
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
    Telephone: (561) 478-5353
    Facsimile: (561) 478-2144
    Skype: jeffrey.a.devore

  2. No, no law can require that they write a letter.

    What kind of visa did you have when you worked for them?

    Perhaps there is something in the visa papers that may help.

    FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

  3. No, your employer has no legal obligation to provide you with a letter.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics