Do I have the right to file a slander/defamation suit against my son's teacher?

Pottstown, PA |

My son is a junior in high school. He attends vo-tech,the bus gets caught in traffic from the tech center to the school very often makes him 5-10 minutes late to his first class of the day at high school. . His teacher has complained many times about being a few minutes late, but he is not the only one in the class that is a vo-tech student. He feels that she specifically has a disfavor for him because he is not a full day academic. Friday she threatened him and only him with disciplinary actions if he was ever late again, other students commented in on what she were saying, who continued to harass my son, she did not say anything to stop them and actually chimed in on what they were saying. He was depressed and angry about being humiliated by the teacher.

1. This is not slander or libel, nor anything close. It is not a lawsuit, either. This is an issue that merits parental interaction and intercession with school administrators. Meet with the teacher and with the supervisors and managers above her, right up to the principal. Take your complaint to the district and the governing board if necessary. Your kid should not be called out for lateness that is out of his control. But this is not an issue that merits legal action.

NOTHING SAID HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE! Read this notice BEFORE you contact me! My posts on Avvo in response to the public's questions are never offered as legal advice. Do not rely on any response posted by me as applicable to your specific problem or circumstances. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions - Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my law firm. My law firm does not provide free consultations. See http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/free-consultation-the-purposes-and-utility-of-free-for-potential-clients-and-for-attorneys for further details on that issue. Please do not call or email me with a “few questions.” I give advice, make recommendations, and answer specific questions only after reviewing the documentary record and other evidence applicable to a specific client, and only in the course of or following a conference with my client in which all of the relevant information can be identified and developed. AND I give legal advice ONLY in the course of an attorney-client relationship created and defined by a written contract for services, signed by my client and by me or a member of my firm, for which payment has been made. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; professional (State or federal licensing agency) discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic disputes involving universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We accept grievances, administrative claims, arbitrations, mediations, negotiations, and other non-litigation matters pertaining to employment, hospital and facility privileges, tenure, and contractual disputes. We conduct seminars and training in employment law for employers and union advocates, and in issues of professional/occupational licensing law for criminal defense attorneys. We accept NO contingency work, and we take no matters for which CCP discovery is applicable.

2. As for a meeting with the Principal and this teacher and make your concern known that your son seems to be penalized for tardiness that is out of his control. None of what you describe is any type of defamation or anything legally actionable.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

3. I concur with my colleagues, not a legal issue. It does appear to be misconduct on the part of the teacher and should be addressed through the available standards. A late bus is not a new issue for teachers and there is no excuse for the teacher not being aware of the schedule. File a formal complaint with the principal and ask that the teacher's conduct be investigated. You may be asked to reduce your complaint to writing, and if so, just write the facts without an name calling or inflating the effect on your child. Follow the Joe Friday rule, "Just the facts Mam." School officials will take the complaint seriously. You may also ask to be informed of what the resolution was. They will likely not be able to tell you if the teacher was disciplined because it is a personnel matter; however, they will be able to tell you they took appropriate steps to correct the problem with the bus and the teacher.
    Best of luck!

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

4. In most states a teacher would have some level of privilege to be protected from libel suits by students in the course of doing his or her job. Also a teacher can state her opinion about a student without being subjected to a libel suit. The correct forum to take this up in is with the school to stop the teacher from humiliating your child.