Do I have the right to expect to be involved in the decisions regarding my mother, who has dementia? Do I need an attorney?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Nampa, ID

I was advised that my mother has dementia. My siblings and I have not been very close for years. I live across the country. I have emailed & phoned, but get little response. Any information is vague. Both my siblings share Durable Power of Attorney. I have always kept in close touch with my mother and noticed her forgetfulness. Then my sister moved mother to her house and took her phone away from her without telling me. It was months of emails and calls to them both before I was told what had been done. Mother has been there over a year and they're still keeping up the pretense she is living in her condo, which has a reverse mortgage. This is suspicious to me. I have no idea what their plans are, but do feel she's not getting the optimum care she needs. This is very difficult for me.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Your rights to be informed of, or participate in decisions regarding, the care of your mother is a matter of the law of the state in which she lives. Nothing short of a consultation and maybe representation by an experienced elder law attorney that practices near where your mother lives will meet your needs.

    Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Alicia Simone James

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . An elder law attorney will help you protect your rights to be involved in your mother's affairs.

    My comments are NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,452 answers this week

3,214 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,452 answers this week

3,214 attorneys answering