Do i have the right to demand counceling before divorce

Asked almost 2 years ago - Brooksville, FL

My wife has done very crazy things and is mentally unstable, midlife crises and hormones i guess, and our 3 kids effected dramatically.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. John Arthur Smitten

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes you can ask that the court delay entry of the divorce and order counselling. However ultimately it only takes one party to get the divorce. Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659

  2. Osa Jackson Harp IV


    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Going through a divorce can be a mentally destabilizing experience for all of the parties involved. However, the State of Florida is a "no-fault" divorce state, meaning the only requirement to dissolve a marriage in the State of Florida is to prove your marriage is "irretrievably broken."

    It is a noble endeavor for you to want to save your marriage by going through some marital counseling. Unfortunately, if your wife's position is that the marriage is "irretrievably broken," generally Courts will not force a party against his or her will to go through marital counseling.

    My law firm is located in Brooksville, Florida and I would be happy to sit down with you and answer any other questions you may have. Divorce consultations at my firm are absolutely free.

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    Osa J. Harp, IV, Esquire
    Harp Law Firm, LLC
    (352) 796-9303

  3. Calli Diane Baldwin

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . What kind of counseling do you want? Are you trying to reconcile? Are you wanting her to be more mentally stable before she is around the children? Do you want the children in counseling? You can't force your wife to go to counseling to reconcile. You can file a motion to request a mental examination and/or treatment if you believe your wife is a danger to your children emotionally or physically. And you can file a motion or try to get your wife to agree to put the children in counseling if you believe they are being impacted negatively by the divorce.

    This attorney is licensed in the State of Texas only and this information does not constitute legal advice. If... more
  4. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . for your wife no, for the children you can ask that she pay a contributory share and then it is up to the Judge

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced... more

Related Topics

No-fault divorce

A no-fault divorce is one in which all that is needed to end the marriage is a claim, by either spouse, that the marriage has broken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,764 answers this week

2,564 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,764 answers this week

2,564 attorneys answering