Do I have the right to ask my booth renters to get liability insurance when they are working in the salon Im responsible for?

Myrtle Beach, SC |

Salon is in South Carolina with one nail tech and one stylist

Yes as I assume they are independent contractors correct?

What is the legal difference from booth renters and independent contractors? On their salon license it reads boothrenter

Ryan S Montgomery

Ryan S Montgomery

There are several factors but correct me if I am wrong. They rent from you, they use their own "tools" (scissors, product,etc,), you don't control who their customers are and so on. You basically own the chairs that they rent. They should have insurance.

That should be in the contract you have with them. You may also wish to consider getting insurance in the event that something happens and you are brought in to the case. See a lawyer in SC to discuss your options. Good luck.

You should consult an attorney in your State at once. This response does not constitute legal advise outside the State Of Michigan and is not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship with our offices. It is for informational use only of the general laws in the State of Michigan, only. To retain our offices, you need to sign a contingency contract with us. We do offer free consultations and we can refer clients to lawyers in your State if you call us. Visit our webpage and tell us what you think. www.schnitzerlaw.net

You could make that requirement a part of your contract with your renters. You also should be carrying your own general liability insurance, because if there is a problem, your salon will be joined in the action.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

R. Brent Cueria

R. Brent Cueria

Yes you can put in your agreement with them. You can buy your own liability coverage cheaply as well. Good luck!

Yes, you can mandate this in your agreement.

Sean