Do I have the ability to sue a grocery store chain?

Asked over 2 years ago - Rocky Mount, NC

3 weeks ago I went shopping. My son picked up a large (party size) box of pepperoni bagel bites and asked if he could get them. I said yes and he threw them in the cart. That night my son cooked 11 bagel bites and ate some. Later, my son came in my room with his plate with only 4 bagel bites on it and said "Mommy my stomach hurts" and then he began vomitting. The "pepperoni" on top of the bagel bites was a greyish color. He spent the next two nights vomitting and having diarrhea. The next morning I saw that the pizza bites expired in January of 2011!! I went back and told customer service the situation and they didnt care the least bit that he was sick. They refunded me my $9. His doctor suspected food poisioning and the store doesnt care. Could I sue them even though I got a refund?

1. F. "Bill" William Powers

1

Best Answer

Answered . As previously stated, the damages portion from a LEGAL perspective would be de minimis (minor).

AS A PARENT, gracious, that certainly would be upsetting. Best advice: stop going to that store.

Sorry you went through a tough time! It would upset me too.

bill powers
    charlotte concord & brevard nc

2. S. David Rosenthal Esquire

Pro

Answered . Hypothetically you could sue for negligence, but even though your son was in significant discomfort for a couple of days, the money damages for this experience would be minimal. If anything, you could consider a small claims lawsuit. Otherwise, I would chalk it up to experience and watch those labels.

S. David Rosenthal
    ROSENTHAL LAW
    2251 Douglas Blvd., Ste. 120
    Roseville, CA 95661
    Phone: (916)774-7200
    Fax: (916)774-7203
    sdr@drinjurylaw.com
    www.rosenthalinjurylaw.com

Email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§2510-2521 and is legally privileged. This electronic message contains information from the law firm of Rosenthal Law. The contents may be privileged and confidential and are intended for the use of the intended addressee(s) only. If you are not an intended addressee, note that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact me.

 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail