Do I have rights as a grandparent, to take my son's daughter's mother to court for visitation?

Asked almost 3 years ago - White Plains, NY

My son has a four year old daughter and the mother do not allow us to see her. We see her if we are lucky once or twice a year. I love my granddaughter and would like to see her more often. The mother has a childsupport order against my son as if he's not responsible. He buys his daughter everything and wants to be in her life, the mother rarely brings my granddaughter around. By the time we see her she has out grown everything we have purchased for her. My son has been going back and fourth to court for childsupport trying to fight the order against him. The mother wants support through the courts so she can keep my granddaughter away from us. What can we do?

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

1

7

Answered . Your son may apply to the court for additional visitation or a change in custody. You may not make such an application on your own behalf, but you can certainly help your son with the legal expenses. You can search the attorney profiles here on Avvo for an attorney in your area. Contact two or three to compare costs and philosophical fit, and get some help for your son. Good luck!