Do I have right to know landlord’s homeowners insurance company involvement in my case?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

I’m suing a former landlord and besides their attorney, supposedly their homeowner’s insurance company is in some capacity indirectly involved in the case, although I’m not sure exactly how. The landlord’s attorney said the insurance company was going to substitute in an attorney but that was two weeks ago and nothing has happened. Do I have a right to know and ask in what capacity the insurance company is involved and for example what reservation of rights the insurance company might have made regarding its involvement?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

3

1

Answered . Yes, once you have a pending lawsuit, you can propound a set of Form Interrogatories - General, and check boxes 4.1 and 4.2 to get an answer to your inquiry.

Here is the form, DISC-001:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/disc001.pdf

2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Answered . Yes, you can get that information by checking off the box on the form interrogatories and serving them on the other side. They don't have to voluntarily give you that information until you ask for it in discovery.