Do I have right to demand records from a school bus driver as a pro - SE defender ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hackensack, NJ

I got a ticket for "Improper passing of a school bus". I strongly believe that I did not pass a school bus. I will go to a trial and represent myself. I wanted to know if I have rights to subpoena school bus records. If not, can I ask judge to demand records from school bus driver?

1. Mark M Cheser

7

1

Best Answer

Answered . You have the right under the discovery rules, New Jersey Court Rules 7:7-7, to such relevant records in all cases involving a consequence of magnitude pro se or not. The court could find this case not to involve a consequence or magnitude, or the court could find the records not relevant. On the information posted it is hard to understand the relevance of such records. If for instance the records would show no bus in the area that day, that would be relevant. I suggest strongly that you at least try to negotiate the case to lower points with the prosecutor.

2. Yolanda Navarrete

6

Answered . You have the right to subpoena. They have the right to oppose. Be ready to convince the judge the reason the records are relevant.

3. Steven Todd Keppler

3

Answered . What records were you looking to review? If you honestly believe you didn't pass a schoolbus, then I have to assume you passed a vehicle that is utilized as a school bus but isn't a large yellow vehicle...probably a minivan or something with a school plate and signage on the side indicating it's a school bus.

Either way, unless the records of the school bus would tend to show you didn't pass it illegally, I'm not certain how they're relevant.

4. Joshua Sachs

4

Answered . And when the judge asks what records you want and how they are potentially relevant to any issue in the case, what will your answer be?