Do I have right to apply on I 751 since I m currently in Montenegro (EU) with child since my ex husband forced me to leave US?

I was married tu US for 2 years in Arizona, and we have child together. He forced me to leave US and I had a green card on 2 years and expired last March. Since we are in Montenegro I would like to know is there a chance to apply from this country and do I have chance?

Gilbert, AZ -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (3)

Marc Damien Sean Taylor

Marc Damien Sean Taylor

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

You should have consulted with an attorney before you left the US.

I am not sure how your husband "forced" you to leave the country, but the issue is that your green card expired almost 8 months ago (if you mean 2012 or 1 year and 8 months if you mean 2011). In order to file a I-751 late you need to show the reason why you are filing late, the fact that you left the US, even under threat might not justify filing so late.

Although there is no requirement to be physically present in the US at the time you file, you will be required to return to the US to undergo biometrics or the interview. Also, if you list a foreign address on the application, USCIS will hold your case until you report that you have moved back to the US.

It is very doubtful that your will be allowed to enter the US, now that your green card has expires, so filing that filing the I-751 will probably not help.

Law Office of Marc Taylor, Esq. PC,, 888-645-6272, , 224 W. 4th Street,... more
Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

No. you might have already "abandoned" your residence.

Ask the person whom you made to post this message to consult with a lawyer in AZ.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Immigration Attorney - Portland, OR


Contact the US Consul in Montenegro:

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics

Employment-based immigrant visas

Employment-based immigration visas are divided into five types of visas (EB-1 through EB-5), each of which have different requirements.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.