Do I have right to apply on I 751 since I m currently in Montenegro (EU) with child since my ex husband forced me to leave US?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Gilbert, AZ

I was married tu US for 2 years in Arizona, and we have child together. He forced me to leave US and I had a green card on 2 years and expired last March. Since we are in Montenegro I would like to know is there a chance to apply from this country and do I have chance?

1. Marc Damien Sean Taylor

Pro

4

Answered . You should have consulted with an attorney before you left the US.

I am not sure how your husband "forced" you to leave the country, but the issue is that your green card expired almost 8 months ago (if you mean 2012 or 1 year and 8 months if you mean 2011). In order to file a I-751 late you need to show the reason why you are filing late, the fact that you left the US, even under threat might not justify filing so late.

Although there is no requirement to be physically present in the US at the time you file, you will be required to return to the US to undergo biometrics or the interview. Also, if you list a foreign address on the application, USCIS will hold your case until you report that you have moved back to the US.

It is very doubtful that your will be allowed to enter the US, now that your green card has expires, so filing that filing the I-751 will probably not help.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . No. you might have already "abandoned" your residence.

Ask the person whom you made to post this message to consult with a lawyer in AZ.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . Maybe.

Contact the US Consul in Montenegro: http://podgorica.usembassy.gov/