Do I have ownership over an online forum account?

Asked 12 months ago - Denver, CO

I have registered an account in an online forum but now I want it removed, the administrator has refused on account of "not feeling like it". What I want to know is do I have ownership of my account and can I force him to remove it and can or should I go to court for it?

1. Robert John Murillo

3

Answered . As noted by Mr. Jaffe, your rights depend on the TOS. That said, absent some extraordinary and frankly incredibly stupid terms, you don't legally own anything in an account. An account is essentially a license to use the services. That means you just have limited rights and a license, by definition, does not confer ownership.

You, as always, can sue anyone for anything. The question is if you will win and based on your limited facts, I would find that doubtful.

2. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

4

Answered . Whether you have ownership would need to be stated in the TOS of the site.

You could go to court over a breach of contract (if that is the case) but do you really want to spend thousands of dollars in legal fees to accomplish this goal?

3. Lawrence G. Walters

2

Answered . While my colleagues are, of course, correct that the terms of service control the ownership of the account, along with any content you posted, it has been my experience that many website operators do not properly implement their legal terms, in order to form a binding contract with their users. The shoe company, Zappo's, learned the hard way recently, when a court invalidated its online terms due to failure to properly gain assent of its website users. You may have an argument on ownership if the forum did not legally implement its online terms. A lawyer will be able to answer that question for you.