Do I have legal recourse to find out why I'm being treated like a criminal?

Jamestown, NY |

I've been working closely with the Buffalo Jills for several years while running the Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog. A few months ago, the director told me that, according to legal advice she had received, I was going to be treated like a criminal because of my connection to a former Jills cheerleader. I'm not allowed at public Jills events and any contact I have with a Jill anywhere else has to be very brief. I can't get a reason for it though...whether I'm being accused of something or if it's something else going on between this girl and the squad. This girl and I haven't been on good terms all year. Do I have any legal recourse in this in order to get answers on why this is happening?

No, this is a private company and they are not legally required to permit everyone access to their events. You can go in disguise, but they can kick you out if you are discovered. Your best strategy is to ask to meet with them to discuss the matter. Otherwise, go public with your complaints on your blog.

As a private company than can exclude anyone they want. I suspect there is something else going on here.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

I have a hunch they might be doing this to gauge my loyalty to the squad vs this former Jill...9 out of 14 of the Jills that were my friends on Facebook deleted me...out of the 5 who didn't, I've only been that tight with 2. 1 of them is someone I've known less than a year...and none have blocked me on Twitter. I of the girls I am still friends with told me recently that she hoped things are worked out soon...but I am sure she got permission from the Director to tell me that, too. I've requested a meeting but other than that, I'm in limbo...not even feeling able to attend Bills games that I've had season tickets for for 17 years.

This is not a legal issue and you have no legal recourse. Your blog appears to be independent from the Bills / Jills organization, and even if it wasn't, there is no legal recourse.

The Jills can and have decided to distance the organization from you. It is unfortunate, but they are a private company and are perfectly entitled to do so.

Similarly, just because you feel a bit awkward about not being able to go to the intimate venue with ~70,000 other people: it doesn't seem as though the team canceled your season tickets and / or publicly admonished you in any way.

Personally, I would remain nothing but professional in the writing you do on the blog or -any other social media- if you wish to get to the bottom of the matter; badmouthing and the like will most assuredly not result in a good outcome.

Reaching out and being persistent -but not overly so- about engaging in a formal meeting to determine why you and your independent blog are being shunned is probably the most prudent of action to take.

Best of luck in establishing contact and coming to a positive conclusion.

As an aside: hopefully this will be the year that ends the playoff drought!

I've remained professional on how I've handled this matter on my site but the cruel and classless way this is being handled by the organization...no warning, no reasoning...put me in the hospital with a nervous breakdown and that was with being treated cruelly from afar. I've already been forced to miss 1 event because of this with a couple of more coming up soon before games start up that I won't be able to attend. I'm sure there were already questions raised about my absence at the one event I missed by several alumni who were in attendance as well as fans who have been accustomed to my presence. And unless they were told that I was being shunned by the squad without being given a reason, I was slandered behind my back. I've requested a meeting and indicated that the lawyer who gave such poor advice should know about it. In order to run my Blog, all I need is to be treated with some level of decency which I'm not getting.

And actually it is supposedly a legal issue as the director told me that legal representation is involved because of the situation, whatever it is, with the former Jill.

All of the advice you have received here is correct and exceedingly gentle and kind. For some reason (and perhaps you truly do not know the reason) the organization does not want to be associated with you any longer. That is the organization's right. The fact that legal counsel may have advised the org that it has the absolute right to take that position does not make it a "legal issue" that creates any legal rights for you.

Let me go out on a limb here and offer you some real-world advice: go where you are wanted and appreciated. Find (develop) some new and unrelated interests. Diversify in the activities and interests of your life. You cannot force people to like you, but you can start a new page with new people in a new circumstance, applying the lessons of what has and has not worked in the past.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.