Do I have grounds to have my judgement vacated?

Asked about 1 year ago - Crofton, MD

I was sued my my previous landlord for breaking my lease. I missed the court date and received a default judgement. I did not appeal within 30 days, and now my bank account has been garnished. I reviewed the submitted paperwork and found that the lease they produced was from 2008 with a renewal clause that states that, if not re-signed, the lease would be renewed for "a like term." This was a one year lease and the claims against me are for January-March 2011. Would this meet the standard of "fraud, accident, or irregularity" and if so, how much would this cost me to pursue. (the claim against me is in the $5000 range)

1. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . Unlikely and here's why (I know this because I had a recent case in trying to vacate a default judgment for fraud):

There's two types of fraud: extrinsic and intrinsic fraud. Intrinsic fraud is an intentionally false representation that goes to the heart of what a given lawsuit is about. In your case, the intrinsic fraud would be the apparently fraudulent lease. Extrinsic fraud is a deceptive means of keeping a person from discovering and/or enforcing legal rights. Extrinsic fraud would be something along the lines of falsifying an affidavit of service when you weren't properly served in a lawsuit.

The thing is: you could have raised the issue of the lease at court. Missing the court date is not really considered an excuse by a court to avoid a judgment. Moreover, you had appeal rights and failed to take advantage of them within 30 days. Thus, for the same reason that I lost my previous case (and told my client that the client's failure to act would be the case's achilles heel), a court will not reward a litigant by vacating a default judgment when that litigant essentially sat on his/her hands and did not participate in the court process. The court will -- in reviewing the court file -- see that notices were properly sent to you advising you of the judgment entered against you, and the court will note that you took no action. The fact that you did nothing in response to those notices would be reason enough not to reopen the case or vacate the judgment.

2. Bennett James Wills

Pro

2

Answered . In addition to my colleague's answer, the only real chance you may have at getting the judgment vacated at this point would be to show that you were never served with process. Meaning, the Plaintiff never properly served you the complaint and summons. This is a tough burden prove, but it is possible.