Do I have grounds to have a lien removed from the court record of my credit report?

Roanoke, VA |

I have a state tax lien for one debt. The lien was filed in a county court, and it shows on my credit report as such. Shortly thereafter, I moved to a neighboring county where the lien was again recorded, this time in the new county and for a larger amount since the debt had grown during the year.

I want to know if it is appropriate for me to have two liens appearing for the same debt? I think this may be double-dinging my credit score with TU, the only credit reporting agency that shows it has two liens instead of one. Can I get one of these removed?

In short, yes. Only one lien should appear on your credit reports because you have one lien. The lien amount may increase because of interest, but it is still ONE lien. The second lien is misleading because it appears to your creditors that you have two liens.

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), you have the right to dispute inaccurate or incomplete information to the credit bureaus, including Equifax, Experian and Trans Union. You should send your dispute by certified mail and keep a copy of your dispute letter and mail receipt for future reference.

For more information visit www.itsyourcreditreport.com

No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. The information provided is for informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice. When you submit a question to this website, your submission does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please be aware that the transmission of an e-mail inquiry itself does not create an attorney-client relationship. We cannot serve as your counsel in any matter unless you and our firm expressly agree in writing that we serve as your attorney. You should also be aware that the statute of limitations (the deadline imposed by law within which you may bring a lawsuit) may severely limit the time remaining for you to file any potential claims you may have.

I agree with the answer given by Mr. Adkins. You should dispute this directly to the credit bureaus. If you cannot get the duplicate lien removed, then contact a qualified FCRA attorney in your area. Virginia has some of the best FCRA attorneys. Go to naca.net and do a search.

Please note that no attorney-client relationship is created by my answers to questions on the Avvo forum. My responses should not be construed as legal advice, regardless of whether I am admitted to practice in your state or not. I am an attorney in Miami Beach, FL, practicing foreclosure, bankruptcy, credit repair, debt defense, and aviation law. Please consult a lawyer in your state if you seek legal advice.

Thank you. And thanks for that resource!