Skip to main content

Do I have Grandparents rights?

Columbus, OH |

I have had My Granddaughter Living in my home on and off her entire life, Just this past 3/21/14 ,I took Mommy to court because she abandoned her in My care for over a year and a half, I took her to and from school, made sure all of her needs were met, and have proof! When we went to court she asked for a continuence, Then called the police and took the child from me, the child hasn't been in school since, she is residing with a convicted felon with a Gun charge, and they are refusing me any contact with the child That has been living with me and My Husband for over a year and a half , and Mommy would go several months without even seeing her, The school where My Grandchild was attending has Never met Mommy, Do I Have a Case to at least get visitation??

Attorney Answers 3


From the bare facts that you stated here, it sounds like you do. However, you need to consult with an attorney immediately to preserve all of your rights. I am sorry this has happened. Best of luck.

Attorneys on Avvo are donating their time. If my answer was helpful, please click "Best Answer" or "Helpful." I am licensed in Ohio. I handle cases involving family law, employment law, and civil rights law. The nature of Avvo means that you have provided no documentation or full case details; therefore, any answer cannot be relied upon as legal advice. I am not your attorney. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


To set a plan in place, hire an attorney and commence

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Sounds like it. When you went to court March 21st, you should have asked for an emergency custody but I have no clue what you or your attorney did if you had one. You may be able to get custody or you could do it by visitation. You don't have an attorney, at least consult one.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics